Reporting Relationships: This role will report to the Head of Solutions Delivery Practices
Key Relationships: Managing Director of Strategic Systems, Executive Director of Financial Risk Management, Executive Director and Chief Technology Architect, Executive Director of Technology Infrastructure, Executive Director of Enterprise Architecture, Executive Director of Data Platform
This is an IT leadership role at a highly regulated and systemically important financial institution. The role requires an individual who can successfully help lead an engineering function in conjunction with the Head of Solutions Delivery Practices and other technology leaders. Strong technical and architecture skills, team leadership and development, Agile expertise, resource management discipline, and the ability to effectively execute on multiple fronts are baseline expectations for this role. The firm is responsible for operating within the global financial market infrastructure as a critical service provider to market participants. OCC places critical emphasis on compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and maintains high standards for information confidentiality, operational integrity and system availability. This is a highly rewarding and challenging role that requires well developed leadership, problem solving, strategic decision making, and execution capabilities. The candidate will also possess a willingness and demonstrated ability to drive change and improve processes.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily.
The Director of API Engineering is a proven leader who has a strong technical and development background. Domain expertise in API framework, Building, and management is a plus. Familiarity with Apigee and Swagger is a must. Technical skillsets required include the ability to design and develop high performance analytical computing solutions. Familiarity with scalable database and compute technologies include Big Data technologies and computationally efficient solutions. Experience working with quantitative research teams and integrating quantitative libraries into an enterprise architecture framework needed. Experience with streaming technologies, Java, Kafka, Python, cloud computing/AWS, and the Hadoop ecosystem preferred. Data visualization and UI design skills a plus.
Development skills should include the ability to design and develop scalable, flexible and resilient solutions. Experience implementing development best practices such as Continuous Integration (CI), Test Driven Development (TDD), defensive coding and code reviews required.
People leadership skills include hiring and mentoring members of the development team. Good communication skills required with the ability to explain technical concepts to a broader audience including senior management.
This role requires working ‘at scale’ with a team that is geographically diverse. The individual should be comfortable working in a matrixed environment to set best practices across the risk technology function with the ability to act as a leader and SME.
Success in this role requires the ability to help work with other technology leaders and QR to define the technology stack, implement Agile processes, and perform ongoing oversight of development activities.
In partnership with other IT leaders, this role will help the API technology organization to:
- Work with technology leads to ensure consistent and best practice development practices are followed including relevant artifacts and ceremonies
- Partner with technology management to help define the target architecture and architecture roadmap
- Hire and mentor strong technical talent.
- Provide transparency on development activities, including issue identification and resolution
- Manage development of core foundational technical components as well as select functional projects.
- Manage resources against commitments to ensure high quality solutions are consistently delivered to established expectations.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
Candidates will be evaluated based on their ability to demonstrate a proven track record of proficiency at the following competencies and organizational objectives:
- Ability to quickly gain credibility as a strong engineering lead who can work with the risk technology team to set best practices
- Demonstrate and embed the behaviors and competencies that create a risk aware and regulatory compliance and internal control mindset within the organization.
- Operate effectively as a member of the wider team through partnership, collaboration and influencing across the relevant business and technology functions and partner with leads in other technology domains.
- Create and adhere to delivery roadmaps partnering with other leaders. Strong execution mindset.
- Solutions architecture experience. Ability to design and develop high performance and flexible solutions.
- Familiarity with Hadoop and/or other Big Data ecosystems required.
- Experience in real time solutions leveraging Kafka and other event driven technologies
- Experience with cloud computing required. AWS preferred.
- An ability to communicate complex and technical issues to diverse audiences, orally and in writing
Education and/or Experience:
Candidates will be evaluated primarily upon their ability to demonstrate the competencies required to be successful in the role, as described above. For reference, the typical work experience and educational background of candidates in this role are as follows:
- Minimum of 10+ years’ development experience within the financial industry preferred
- Experience developing high performance data and compute platforms at scale
- Ability to coach and mentor developers at different levels
- Proven ability to establish and execute technology best practices
- Experience coaching Agile transformation efforts and leading Agile (preferably Scrum) development.
- Preferred – prior leadership experience in guiding teams through cultural transformation.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science or a technical discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
Certificates or Licenses:
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
For more information about OCC, please click here.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer