Reporting Relationships: This role will report to the VP, Risk Technology
Key Relationships: SVP of Strategic Systems, FVP’s/VP’s of Financial Risk Management, FVP and Chief Technology Architect, FVP of Technology Infrastructure, FVP of Enterprise Architecture
This is an IT leadership role at a highly regulated and systemically important financial institution. The role requires an individual who can successfully help lead an engineering function in conjunction with the Head of Risk Solutions Delivery and other technology leaders. Strong technical and architecture skills, team leadership and development, Agile expertise, resource management discipline, and the ability to effectively execute on multiple fronts are baseline expectations for this role. The firm is responsible for operating within the global financial market infrastructure as a critical service provider to market participants. OCC places critical emphasis on compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and maintains high standards for information confidentiality, operational integrity and system availability. This is a highly rewarding and challenging role that requires well developed leadership, problem solving, strategic decision making, and execution capabilities. The candidate will also possess a willingness and demonstrated ability to drive change and improve processes.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Risk Engineering is a proven leader who has a strong technical and development background. Domain expertise in financial risk analytics and especially counterparty credit risk is a plus. Familiarity with CCP’s and margin calculations beneficial. Technical skillsets required include the ability to design and develop high performance analytical computing solutions. Familiarity with scalable database and compute technologies include Big Data technologies and computationally efficient solutions. Experience working with quantitative research teams and integrating quantitative libraries into an enterprise architecture framework is beneficial. Experience with streaming technologies, Java, Kafka, Python, cloud computing/AWS, and the Hadoop ecosystem preferred. Data visualization and UI design skills a plus.
Development skills should include the ability to design and develop scalable, flexible and resilient solutions. Experience implementing development best practices such as Continuous Integration (CI), Test Driven Development (TDD), defensive coding and code reviews required.
People leadership skills include hiring and mentoring members of the development team. Good communication skills required with the ability to explain technical concepts to a broader audience including senior management.
This role requires working ‘at scale’ with a team that is geographically diverse. The individual should be comfortable working in a matrixed environment to set best practices across the risk technology function with the ability to act as a leader and SME.
Success in this role requires the ability to help work with other technology leaders and QR to define the technology stack, implement Agile processes, and perform ongoing oversight of development activities.
In partnership with other IT leaders, this role will help the risk technology organization to:
- Work with technology leads to ensure consistent and best practice development practices are followed including relevant artifacts and ceremonies
- Partner with technology management to help define the target architecture and architecture roadmap
- Hire and mentor strong technical talent.
- Provide transparency on development activities, including issue identification and resolution
- Ability to quickly gain credibility as a strong engineering lead who can work with the risk technology team to set best practices
- Demonstrate and embed the behaviors and competencies that create a risk aware and regulatory compliance and internal control mindset within the organization.
- Operate effectively as a member of the wider team through partnership, collaboration and influencing across the relevant business and technology functions and partner with leads in other technology domains.
- Create and adhere to delivery roadmaps partnering with other leaders. Strong execution mindset.
- Solutions architecture experience. Ability to design and develop high performance and flexible solutions.
- Familiarity with Hadoop and/or other Big Data ecosystems required.
- Experience in real time solutions leveraging Kafka and other event driven technologies
- Experience with cloud computing required. AWS preferred.
- An ability to communicate complex and technical issues to diverse audiences, orally and in writing
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of 8 years’ development experience within the financial industry preferred
- Experience developing high performance data and compute platforms at scale
- Ability to coach and mentor developers at different levels
- Proven ability to establish and execute technology best practices
- Experience coaching Agile transformation efforts and leading Agile (preferably Scrum) development.
- Preferred – prior leadership experience in guiding teams through cultural transformation.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science or a technical discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
For more information about OCC, please click here.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer