Executive Principal, Associate General Counsel
Who We Are
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) is the world's largest equity derivatives clearing organization. Founded in 1973, OCC is dedicated to promoting stability and market integrity by delivering clearing and settlement services for options, futures and securities lending transactions. As a Systemically Important Financial Market Utility (SIFMU), OCC operates under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. OCC has more than 100 clearing members and provides central counterparty (CCP) clearing and settlement services to 19 exchanges and trading platforms. More information about OCC is available at www.theocc.com.
What We Offer
A highly collaborative and supportive environment developed to encourage work-life balance and employee wellness. Some of these components include:
A hybrid work environment, up to 3 days per week of remote work
Tuition Reimbursement to support your continued education
Student Loan Repayment Assistance
Technology Stipend allowing you to use the device of your choice to connect to our network while working remotely
Generous PTO and Parental leave
Competitive health benefits including medical, dental and vision
What You’ll Do
The Executive Principal, Associate General Counsel, will provide senior legal counsel to internal business clients on both routine and complex matters regarding legal risk. Specifically, the Executive Principal, Associate General Counsel will advise internal clients on regulations applicable to OCC and work with personnel from the business units to articulate the nature of changes to the Corporation’s By-Laws and Rules to OCC’s regulators.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily.
- Provide legal and regulatory support to business partners including but not limited to drafting opinions and other required documentation; reviewing documents to help ensure accuracy, consistency, and overall quality; and other necessary actions to provide thorough legal advice to business partners.
- Assist with management of relationship with internal and external stakeholders including senior management, Board of Directors, and regulators, including the SEC, the CFTC, and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, as necessary.
- Act as subject matter expert for the legal function by providing specialized legal and regulatory advice to internal clients on a variety of matters, with an emphasis in the areas of regulations applicable to financial risk management at central counterparties that are systemically important financial market utilities.
- Advise internal clients on regulatory and legal matters related to federal securities and commodities laws promulgated by the SEC, CFTC, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, and the Financial Stability Oversight Council.
- Assist in supervision of, and work closely with, outside counsel, as appropriate.
- Assist in ensuring business initiatives are in compliance with current and proposed regulatory. requirements.
- Be familiar with and advise internal clients on specific international principles and standards applicable to OCC and/or its clearing members, including but not limited to those issued by CPMI-IOSCO and the Financial Stability Board.
- Interpret and advise internal clients on OCC’s By-Laws and Rules, and any policies and procedures promulgated thereunder.
- Perform other duties as required.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
- [Required] Substantial experience in one or more of the following areas: (i) securities and commodities laws and regulations, including the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Dodd-Frank Act of 2010, (ii) working at a self-regulatory organization registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- [Required] High ability to promptly produce high-quality, accurate, and detailed work product.
- [Required] Excellent analytical and problem-solving, interpersonal and communication, and collaboration skills.
- [Required] Capable of handling several substantial high complexity matters with a significant degree of independence, and writing skills.
- [Required] Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason and to quickly shift priorities in response to changing business environment or priorities.
- [Preferred] General working knowledge of the clearance and settlement and risk management functions of a clearing organization.
Education and/or Experience:
Juris Doctor (JD)
Certificates or Licenses:
Admitted to the Bar in Illinois
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Washington DC
- Full Time Regular
- Posted: Sep. 20, 2022
How to Apply
Step 1 - When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
Step 2 - You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
Step 3 - If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Numerous studies have shown that people from groups that are traditionally under-represented in financial services apply to jobs only if they believe they meet 100% of the requirements. We want to break down this mindset to further diversify our workforce.
We encourage you to review our open positions and apply if you think your experience may be a match, even if you do not meet all of the qualifications. Your perspective may be an element we need to continue building innovative solutions to support the markets and market participants we serve.
OCC is a globally recognized entity that clears a multitude of diverse and sophisticated products. We want to reflect this in the diversity of our workforce.