Manager, Cyber Defense
The Manager, Cyber Defense will help plan actions and lead security professionals in the analysis and determination of threats to the enterprise, vulnerabilities in the environment, and how our company will best defend itself against these threats. This position will require initiative to oversee security technology implementations and be expected to put together projects and teams to remediate identified security threats, incidents, and compliance issues.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily.
Perform duties across several Cyber Defense disciplines, activities may include:
Security Device Administration
- Manage security tools including appliances, hosted systems, and SaaS – including health checks, version updates, and content development.
- Validate content changes to security tools are appropriate from other analysts and teams.
- Report on and enhance current metrics surrounding security tool capabilities and efficacy.
- Take a lead role in the systems lifecycle --- performing upgrades, implementation of new technologies, and enhancement identification.
- Lead 3-5 employees and contingent labor professional for the cyber systems function within Cyber Defense.
- Manage team effectively in delivery of incident resolution, project tasks, compliance milestones, and systems implementations.
- Perform talent management functions across the team, including performance reviews, direct feedback, and other administrative functions as required.
Incident Management and Security Response Actions:
- Lead cyber security incident responders in response activities including investigation, coordination, review, and reporting.
- Oversee technical analysis of security events while coordinating incident response activities with internal and external teams.
- Ensure and directly oversee the collection and preservation of data associated with cyber security incident response activities following industry best practices and established procedures.
- Develop and support briefings to OCC senior management as a trusted incident responder.
- Manages all members of the Cybersecurity team within Security Services. Assigns personnel to projects, directs their activities, and performs personnel actions (hiring, promotions, terminations, etc.)
- Confer with and advise subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods.
- Promote employee development by conducting career-planning sessions with staff and selecting and scheduling employee training classes, conferences, and seminars
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
- Proven team player will be working primarily with other staff members, on both long-term projects and rapid response under tight deadlines.
- Team Leadership experience, taking initiative; providing and following through on solutions across various skillsets.
- Effective and excellent oral and written communication, analytical, judgment and consultation skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both formal and informal review settings with all levels of management.
- Ability to work with local and remote IT staff/management, vendors and consultants.
- Ability to work independently and possess strong project management skills.
In-depth understanding of:
- SIEM solutions
- Experience with Crowdstrike solutions
- Forensic analysis tools (Axiom, EnCase, FTK)
- Malware analysis tools (dynamic and static)
- Secure Web Gateway (BlueCoat, Microsoft Forefront) solutions
- Network sniffers and packet tracing tools (DSS, Ethereal and tcpdump, WireShark).
- Intrusion Detection & Prevention Tools such as SNORT/Sourcefire, Palo Alto, etc.)
- Encryption technologies (PGP, PKI and X.509)
- Hands on experience with network architecture, including network security.
- Hands on experience with Active Directory Security, including scans, best practices and security configuration.
- Hands on experience with Application Security controls including design, dynamic scans, static code analysis.
- Hands on experience with Incident Reponses process, procedures and Tools
- Identity and access management (I&AM) experience with Active Directory , NTFS permissions, LDAP and Single Sign On (SSO) solutions.
- Industry-standard metrics and measurements for SOC effectiveness
- Risk management in the context of the NIST CSF or another industry-standard framework
- Passion for creating tools and automating processes.
- Standard technical writing tools including MS Word, Excel, Project and Visio
- Industry-standard operating systems and environments such as Microsoft Windows and Linux distributions, in data center and cloud environments.
- LAN/WAN routing and high availability (OSPF, BGP4/iBGP, EIGRP and NSRP)
- Fundamental understanding of the underlying protocols and data used as the basis for the security monitoring service, including: HTTP, HTTPS, SQL, TCP/IP, Active Directory
- Application and database security experience
- Network and security engineering experience, including log and network traffic capture analysis.
- Experience with assessing system hardening procedures for Windows, Linux
- Security policy, standards, governance, privacy and regulatory experience (e.g., NIST, COBIT).
- Knowledge of BYOD and Mobile Device Management platforms.
- Securing cloud based platforms (Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, etc.).
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum three years of information security experience, preferably in the financial services industry.
- Minimum two years hands-on security operations experience including interdisciplinary experience with four or more of the following: Cyber Threat Analysis, Digital Computer Forensics, Incident Response, Application Security, Operating Systems Security, Cryptographic Controls, Networking, Programming languages, Incident Response
- Minimum one year in a leadership role or team/project lead capacity.
- Technical experience and comprehensive knowledge of threat actor capabilities, intentions, methodologies, and motives.
- Familiarity with computer network exploitation and network attack methodologies.
- Industry knowledge of leading-edge security technologies and methods working in an on-call response capacity is required including availability for 24 x 7 on-call support responsibilities
Certificates or Licenses:
- Professional security certifications is a plus (i.e., GIAC, CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC)
Who We Are
The Options Clearing Corporation (OCC) is the world's largest equity derivatives clearing organization. Founded in 1973, OCC is dedicated to promoting stability and market integrity by delivering clearing and settlement services for options, futures and securities lending transactions. As a Systemically Important Financial Market Utility (SIFMU), OCC operates under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System. OCC has more than 100 clearing members and provides central counterparty (CCP) clearing and settlement services to 19 exchanges and trading platforms. More information about OCC is available at www.theocc.com.
What We Offer
A highly collaborative and supportive environment developed to encourage work-life balance and employee wellness. Some of these components include:
A hybrid work environment, up to 2 days per week of remote work
Tuition Reimbursement to support your continued education
Student Loan Repayment Assistance
Technology Stipend allowing you to use the device of your choice to connect to our network while working remotely
Generous PTO and Parental leave
Competitive health benefits including medical, dental and vision
When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Chicago - 125 S Franklin
- Full Time Regular
- Posted: Sep. 07, 2023
How to Apply
Step 1 - When you find a position you're interested in, click the 'Apply' button. Please complete the application and attach your resume.
Step 2 - You will receive an email notification to confirm that we've received your application.
Step 3 - If you are called in for an interview, a representative from OCC will contact you to set up a date, time, and location.
OCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Numerous studies have shown that people from groups that are traditionally under-represented in financial services apply to jobs only if they believe they meet 100% of the requirements. We want to break down this mindset to further diversify our workforce.
We encourage you to review our open positions and apply if you think your experience may be a match, even if you do not meet all of the qualifications. Your perspective may be an element we need to continue building innovative solutions to support the markets and market participants we serve.
OCC is a globally recognized entity that clears a multitude of diverse and sophisticated products. We want to reflect this in the diversity of our workforce.